Nowadays our lives have become so fast-paced that we have to constantly sprint to keep up. But since it’s Diwali and most of you have a holiday, let’s take some time to enjoy the smaller things in life. Although, food can hardly be called a small thing!
What better way to celebrate Diwali (and your holiday) than to recreate some of those home-made snacks that were the best part of the festivities back home?
Here are some easy-to-make snacks and sweets for you to try out this Diwali:
- 2 cups refined flour
- 2 tsp Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Salt (as required)
- Oil (for frying)
- Mix the flour, ajwain, pepper and salt in a bowl.
- Knead the dough using warm ghee. Use very little water, as required, as the dough has to be a little hard. If it is too soft, the mathris will not be crispy after frying.
- Flatten out the dough using a rolling pin and make the mathris in any shape you want. If you want a perfect round shape, try using a cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Fry the mathris in medium hot oil till the crispy and golden-brown.
- Serve with pickle or ginger tea!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup sugar or powdered jaggery
- Oil (for frying)
- Mix the flour and ghee together in a bowl.
- Add water and knead the dough. Use very little water, as required, as the dough has to be a little hard.
- Flatten out the dough using a rolling pin and make square or diamond shapes using a knife or a mould if you have one.
- Fry the shakkar pare in medium hot oil till the crispy and golden-brown.
- Place the fried shakkar pare on a tissue to absorb the excess oil and let them cool down while you make the sugar syrup.
- Mix 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pan. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Heat the syrup till you get a 2-3 thread consistency. (To check consistency, take a drop of the syrup between thumb and forefinger. When yu press and separate your fingers, you should see 2-3 threads in the syrup.)
- Now add the cooled shakkar pares to the syrup and mix well so that all of them are coated with sugar. Do this quick as the syrup will crystallize.
- Place them on a plate and allow them to cool down. The syrup will crystallize and all the shakkar pare will be coated with fine sugar crystals.
- Store in an air-tight container and try not to eat them all at once!
- 2 cups poha/aval
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup roasted chana
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp each of red chilli and turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp powdred sugar
- Salt (as required)
- Heat the oil in a kadai for frying.
- Fry the poha, chana, peanuts, cashew, raisins and curry leaves (all separately) using a fine sieve. Do this by placing the ingredients one by one inside the sieve and immersing the sieve in the hot oil.
- Keep all the ingredients on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Heat 1tsp oil in a separate pan and add mustard, cumin and sesame seeds. Heat till they pop.
- Shut the flame and add chilli and turmeric powder, asafoetida, sugar and salt to taste.
- Add all the fried ingredients to the pan and stir well on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Once cooled, store in an air-tight container.
- 2 cups besan (gram flour)
- 1/2 cup ghee (more if required)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 powdered cardamoms
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- On a low flame, roast the besan powder for 10-15 minutes. Keep stirring to ensure even browning.
- Add melted ghee and continue roasting until the ghee begins oozing out slowly from the mixture.
- Add powdered sugar and cardamom. Also add raisins and dry fruits if you prefer.
- Take small portions of the mixture ad roll it into balls and set aside to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container.
So there you have it! Wasn’t that easy? Now you can enjoy your favourite Diwali snacks even if you’re not home.
You made the perfect batch of snacks but Diwali is not complete unless you can share it with your loved ones! Now share Diwali snacks and gifts with your family using India’s best courier service mobile app – GoPigeon!
GoPigeon is an on-demand courier service app that provides you with the simplest and most efficient way to ship your parcels anywhere you want! So don’t worry about packaging and courier offices anymore. Just snap a picture of your parcel and enter the destination. Our highly trained Pigens will arrive at your doorstep and do the rest!
Image courtesy: Pinterest